Zermatt is a small town in the district of Visp, in the canton of Valais in Switzerland. It’s a world-famous and popular ski resort, which surrounded by Swiss Alps including the famous Matterhorn. I felt in love with Zermatt. It has its unique charming atmosphere.
Good to know:
- Zermatt is a car-free zone. People use bicycles, horses, small e-buses or e-taxi. The last one also works as a transfer for hotels. Town is very small, everything can be reached by walking within 30 min maximum.
- How to reach from Zurich main train station: Zurich – Visp – Zermatt. The road takes approximately 3 hours. The timetables and prices you can always check on SBB website. Also, SBB App is very useful in planning trips.
- Zermatt is a touristic town, its economy based on this industry. It means, that most of the population work in the tourism service sector. By the way, total population of Zermatt is around 5’760. Half of all buildings are either hotels or vacation apartments;
- Prices for hotels and restaurants are not cheap, but that’s how most of the ski resorts work. However, sometimes hotels do make special offers.
- Zermatt is surrounded by Swiss Alps, the highest among which are:
Monte Rosa, with its highest peak at 4’634 meters, called Dufourspitze, is the Switzerland’s highest peak.
Dom, with its highest peak at 4,545 meters.
Weisshorn – 4,505 meters.
And of course, the Matterhorn, which is 4,478 meters high.
- The town offers numerous activities in the mountains and in the town all year-long.
- For more details about Zermatt, you may visit the official website.
Gornergrat – the best view to Matterhorn
Zermatt is a perfect starting point for exploring mountains. I wanted to meet the Matterhorn in all its glory. So, I went before the town and mountains are got covered with snow. There are several roads and places from where you can enjoy the view of the majestic Matterhorn. I went to Gornergrat with the Gornergrat train (Gornergrat Bahn), and want to share my experience about it with you.
Gornergrat is 3’100 meters above the see level. The view of the mountains from there is outstanding. You can see over 29 mountain peaks, some of which over 4’000 meters high, including the famous Matterhorn. The Matterhorn is one of the symbols of Switzerland. It’s is 4,478 meters high and looks amazing from each side. Moreover, you can see the Gorner Glacier, which is the second largest glacier in the Alps.
Good to know:
- Gornergrat Bahn is located just across the main train station in Zermatt.
- The timetable for winter 2016-2017 you may find in the photos below.
- Prices for the Gornergrat train, Zermatt – Gornergrat:
Adults: one way – 45 CHF; round trip – 90 CHF;
With Half Fare Card: one way is 22,50 CHF; round trip – 45 CHF.
- Trip Zermatt – Gornergrat takes around 30 min.
- The best view of the mountains, when there are no or just a little bit of high clouds..
- As you know, the Matterhorn is printed on the package of the Toblerone chocolate. So, Don’t forget to take one Toblerone chocolate with you to the mountains. You can take a memorable photo! :)
- More details about Gornergrat Bahn you can find on the official website.
At the top of Gornergrat, you will find a church and a hotel – 3100 Kulmhotel Gornergrat, which has a restaurant and an observatory. The hotel offers incredible experience to watch stars.
Riffelsee & Rotenboden
On the way back to Zermatt, I recommend to go out on the Rotenboden train station. There is a small, but beautiful lake, called Riffelsee, just 10 min walking from the train station. You can see reflection of the Matterhorn in the lake. Totally breathtaking experience! :) Also, you may be interested in the hiking trails in that region. If so, check the roads and the weather condition before traveling.
I hope this information was useful for you, and wish you a joyful trip to Zermatt and Matterhorn.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact me -> GET IN TOUCH