The Alpina Gstaad – thoughtful luxury, Alpine chic and cosiness. This is the first description, that comes to mind when thinking about this exquisite 5-star hotel. Seated proudly on the hillside overlooking the stylish ski village of Gstaad, the resort offers a contemporary interpretation of authentic Swiss design, exclusive wellness, culinary and art experiences.
Good to know:
- The Alpina Gstaad is a Swiss luxury 5-star hotel, located at the hilltop above the village Gstaad, in Saanenland, in the heart of the Bernese Alps.
- Getting there: from Zurich by train, it would take approx. 3 hours with a couple of connections.
- The 56 spacious rooms and suites – all with balconies – reflect how authenticity meets Swiss luxury. I have stayed in one out of 7 Grand Luxe Suites. A beautiful specious room, with a thoughtful coherence between design and environment as you can see on the photos. There are also 25 Deluxe Rooms, 13 Junior Suites, 9 Deluxe Suites, 1 Chalet Suite, 1 Panorama Suite.
- The resort features an exclusive Six Senses Spa, the only one in Switzerland. Inspired by Asian traditions, the spa features indoor and outdoor pools, Salt Room, Floatation Room, Hammam, Colonic Room, Colour Therapy Room, as well as special holistic treatments and personalised training programs.
- The Alpina Gstaad is also a place for a cultural enrichment. You will find some inspiring art pieces throughout the resort. Thoughtfully placed, they not only look beautiful, but also rise the awareness about important social topics.
- This luxury hotel has three gourmet restaurants. The restaurant SOMMET serves contemporary cuisine and awarded with one Michelin star and 18/20 Gault Millau points. MEGU is a Japanese restaurant, crowned with one Michelin star and 16/20 Gault Millau points. Finally, the traditional restaurant SWISS STÜBLI, with local specialities such as raclette and fondue.
- Furthermore, there is a cosy bar-lounge, wine-tasting room, private cinema, cigar lounge, a ballroom and several boardrooms at your disposal.
- The hotel is also pet-friendly.
- The Alpina Gstaad is a member of the Preferred Hotels & Resorts Legend collection, the exclusive Virtuoso travel network, and Swiss Deluxe Hotels.
- Photocredit: @worldofjuliadotcom
environmentally conscious design
At every detail, I could see the thoughtful commitment to the environment. From sustainable materials and electric vehicles to the zero-waste approach in the kitchens. It’s all about attention to details at this utterly luxurious hotel. The wow-factor starts right at the lobby, with the ancient wood ceiling above the main stair case along with captivating art pieces. The traditional Swiss architecture seamlessly continues through all 56 rooms and suites. I was absolutely fascinated by the craftsmanship and the rustic charm of the reclaimed timber from the local chalets, used for interiors and exteriors. Charming farmhouse-style cupboards, vintage chests and accessories such as traditional leather raps used to hold cowbell complete the elegant authentic Alpine style.
Moreover, in order to highlight global warming, the hotel displays the “Arctic” car. It’s a custom-made electric Fiat 500, created with a special eco-sustainable finish with a print of polar animals. The print disappears when the external temperature rises, and reappears when it cools down.
Tempel of WELLBEING at the SIX SENSES SPA
The Six Senses Spa, the only one in Switzerland, is a peaceful temple for harmonizing the energy flow, relaxation and rejuvenation. In fact, as a former medical doctor, I appreciate the complex approach to the mindfulness-based stress reduction. It combines scientific advances in nutrition, skin care, fitness and neuroscience along with oriental philosophies. Inspired by Asian traditions, the spa features indoor and outdoor pools, Salt Room, Floatation Room, Hammam, Colonic Room, Colour Therapy Room, as well as special holistic treatments and personalised training programs. Furthermore, for even deeper reconnection between body and mind, during the winter season the hotel offers a number of special programs like the Holistic Anti-Aging Program, Tibetan Healing Retreat, Light and Sound Healing, Yoga Sleep, Mountain Detox and Energy Healing.
Extraordinary Culinary and Art Experiences
When it comes to food for body and soul, the Alpina Gstaad has exceeded my expectations. You will find three gourmet restaurants at the property, each has its own unique character while perfectly representing the original style of the hotel. The Executive Chef, Martin Göschel and his team, shook my taste buds up with his luscious creations. In addition, at the cosy bar-lounge I could enjoy a live piano music and a perfect serve of the Glenfiddich Grand Cru.
The exquisite art collection, installed throughout the hotel, is a true feast for eyes and soul. The stunning permanent art collection constantly complemented by many social projects. Furthermore, the resort often hosts environmental forums, congresses and creative workshops.
It is not easy to provide the impeccable service and AT THE SAME TIME be irresistibly down to earth. However, the Alpina Gstaad redefined luxury in hospitality and absolutely nailed it!
More information about availability and rates you can always find on the Alpina Gstaad official website.
Have you ever been at this luxurious resort? If so, please share your experience in the comments below.
Finally, if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact me -> GET IN TOUCH.