Snow Polo World Cup St. Moritz 2020 IS A SPECTACULAR TOURNAMENT, TAKING PLACE ON JANUARY 24, 25 & 26 ON THE FROZEN LAKE OF ST. MORITZ.
Snow Polo World Cup is the worlds most prestigious polo tournament on snow with the highest prize money. It has been taking place every year on the frozen lake of St. Moritz since 1985. Four top polo teams will be competing for the coveted trophy, with matches held from Friday through Sunday.
But first, I want to share with you a few interesting facts about St. Moritz itself. This luxurious alpine retreat has a long history of winter tourism and winter sports. Furthermore, the resort has over 320 sunny days per year and defiantly is a must-see place in Switzerland.
GOOD TO KNOW:
- St. Moritz hosted the Winter Olympic Games twice: in 1928 and 1948.
- FIS Alpine World Ski Championships have already been taken place 5 times (in 1934, 1948, 1974, 2003, 2017) in St. Moritz.
- There is a historical bobsleigh track. It’s an oldest and only remaining natural ice track in the world. The track was built in 1904 and still used for competitions.
- Since 1907, St. Moritz has been hosting an exclusive international horse racing competition on the frozen lake – White Turf. Check the article about this unique event -> WHITE TURF 2018, ST. MORITZ.
- Thanks to its exceptional sunny winters St. Moritz was the birthplace of alpine winter tourism over 155 years ago (in 1864). More details about it, as well as travel tips you may find in our post -> 5 REASONS TO VISIT ST. MORITZ THIS WINTER.
WOMAN POWER and WORLD-CLASS PLAYERS AT THE SNOW POLO WORLD CUP ST. MORITZ 2020
As previous couple of years, two women will be leading two teams. Melissa Ganzi, USA, will once again enter the event as a captain for the Team Badrutt’s Palace. The Russian Zhanna Bandurko will be leading the Team St. Moritz along with Valery Mishchenko. The Team Azerbaijan Land of Fire, last year’s darling of the public, is expected to up the ante on their game to reach the final this time.
GOOD TO KNOW about snow polo World Cup:
- Dates: 24 – 26 of January, 2020.
- Location: the frozen lake of St. Moritz.
- Tickets: Free entrance to the lake, including access to the stands.
- VIP tickets can be purchased on the Snow Polo official website.
- Driving and parking on the lake is strictly prohibited.
- The escalator from the top of the Serletta car parking (near Badrutt’s Palace Hotel) to the lake is a convenient short-cut.
Friday: January 24, 2020:
- 11.00h Polo Village opens
- 12.00h Polo Game 1: Badrutt’s Palace vs Azerbaijan Land of Fire
- 14.15h Polo Game 2: St. Moritz vs Maserati
- 16.30h Polo village and VIP tent close
GAMES RESULTS, JANUARY 24TH:
- Presidents Trophy: Azerbaijan Land of Fire vs. Badrutt’s Palace Hotel 8 – 4.
- Hatecke Challenge: St. Moritz vs. Maserati 6 – 2 1/2.
Saturday: January 25, 2020:
- 11:00 Polo village opens
- 12:00 Polo Game 3
Azerbaijan Land of Fire vs St. Moritz
- 14:15 Polo Game 4
Maserati vs Badrutt’s Palace
- 16:30 Polo village and VIP tent close
GAMES RESULTS, JANUARY 25TH:
- Maserati Cup: Azerbaijan Land of Fire vs. St. Moritz 5 1/2 – 6.
- Deutsche Bank Wealth Management Challenge: Maserati vs. Badrutt’s Palace Hotel 4 1/2 – 3.
Sunday: January 26, 2020:
- 11.00h Polo Village opens
- 12.00h 3rd place, La Martina Cup
- 14.15h Snow Polo World Cup St. Moritz Final
- 15.15h Prize-giving ceremony: The Snow Polo World Cup St. Moritz Trophy
GAMES RESULTS, JANUARY 26TH:
- Finals 3rd place, La Martina Cup: Maserati vs. Badrutt’s Palace Hotel 7 1/2 – 5.
- The Final, the Snow Polo World Cup St. Moritz: St. Moritz vs. Azerbaijan Land of Fire 4 – 1 1/2.
Once again, Congratulations to the team St. Moritz – the champion of the Snow polo World Cup st. Moritz 2020!
Photo credit: World of Julia / @worldofjuliadotcom